Friday, May 2, 2014

Fun Friday Finds #22

Let me just start off this episode of Fun Friday Finds by being up front and honest with you right from the start.  I didn't find anything too terribly exciting this week.  It has rained most of the day today and there were only 2 sales to be had, and the thrift store pickin's were kinda slim as well.

But I did find a few things.

Before I show you my first find, which involves dishes, I have some 'splainin' to do.  (Who else besides me always hears Lucy and Ricardo in their head whenever you say you have some explaining to do?  "Luuuut-sy!  You have some 'splainin' to do!")  :D   Ok, back on track now.  Dishes.  Ah yes.  I have had our Pottery Barn style dishes for several years now and have just loved them.  They are knock-offs that I found at a thrift store, and they're big and chunky and heavy duty and I've loved them.  But in the past year they've been developing some icky krazing going on as well as mysterious brown spots appearing.  It's really gross and there's no way I would put this out in front of a guest.  



So the mystery spots combined with the fact that several of the dishes have been broken in the past few months (and no, it wasn't on purpose, lol!) has led me to start searching for new dishes.  I've found a couple of sets that are nice, but haven't truly fallen in love with any one set that I want to dish out the money for.  (Haha!  I totally just un-intentionally made a pun!)  So I gave up on the idea of a "set" for the time being and decided that I also enjoy the mis-matched collected look of having lots of different dishes of different patterns.  So I've been watching thrift stores and yard sales to find patterns that catch my eye.

This sweet set of vintage dessert plates I found at a thrift store fit the bill for sure!


Aren't they adorable?!?  
The two on the left are the only ones that have a repeating pattern.


I think they're just as sweet as they can be!


Then today I found this set of plainer white dinner plates at a church rummage sale for $4.  I like the basic-ness of them and they're sturdy and in good condition.  Plus they don't have icky brown mystery stains on them, so that's a win in my book!

They have a pretty design around the edges.


At the same sale, I also picked up these two coffee mugs for 25¢ each.  They don't match the design of the plates, but that's fine with me.  I ain't skeered.


I like a big fat sturdy mug for my coffee and these are just that.


I also picked up these two vintage pillow cases for $1.  I just saw {this} idea on Pinterest and loved it and so I had that in mind when I purchased these.


I'm not 100% sure what this little gadget is, and neither were the ladies who were selling it, but I'm assuming it's a pasta/noodle cutter.  I've tried making my own egg noodles before, but found the process of trying to keep them uniform in size when cutting them to be very tedious and time consuming so I've never tried them again.  But now....it's game on!  (I'm also assuming the sort of serrated blade will make wrinkly edged noodles, kinda of like lasagna?  If anyone knows for sure, feel free to let me know!)

And last but not least!


I found this sweet little chippy ladder back chair at the one yard sale that had braved the rain.  I asked him if I could peek under his tarps and he was more than happy to let me so I braved the drizzle and found this lil' cutie for $5.


I promptly put it on the front porch and placed my galvanized container garden on it.  Granted, the plants need a lil' work, but hey, you can only do so much staging in the pouring rain.

Any-who-zees...those are my fun finds for the week!  
How about you?  Did you find anything great this week?  Feel free to come over to the Facebook group and share a picture or two and tell us all about it!


                                                                 

10 comments:

  1. Love all the new dishes & the chair! I really like embossed all white pottery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dishes are great but the chair was a steal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your dishes, they are going to look great when you are all finished collecting! Love the chair on your porch with the potted plants!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your finds are great! I think the dishes are pretty and even the dessertbplates are so pretty alongside the white plates. I love what you did with the chair...What a steal at $5!

    Have a happy week!
    ~Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a kitchen tool like the one you got and it was for chopping, onions, peppers, etc. I am not sure what the notched blade would be for, nor am I sure if they would work for pasta.... You would definitely have to have the dough heavily floured! I am a new follower of your blog and thoroughly enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, onions and peppers, that makes sense! The commenter after you said it could also be used for chopping herbs. Thanks for the info!

      Delete
  6. Hi there,
    Great finds in the dish department. Some dish stains wipe right off with Barkeepers Friend, and it doesn't seem to hurt the dishes at all. Other stains can be cleaned by smoothing a papertowel over the dish and soaking it with peroxide. Just let it sit for a while....peroxide is cheap, so more often, I just pour it in the dish and let it sit.
    The chair is a cutie too.
    I think your chopper may be an herb chopper...run it back and forth across leafy herbs to "shred" them.
    PULLLeeeease send us some of the rain....it is so dry here it is becoming a dust bowl :^(
    Blessings to you,
    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read about Barkeepers Friend and thought about trying it out, but these stains seemed to be coming from within the plate somehow and I didn't think it would work so I didn't want to waste my money. : ) Plus, a few of them had been broken so it was a good excuse to start replacing them.

      And thanks for the info on the little chopper gadget, that's helpful to know!

      Delete
  7. I recently found your blog. :) Actually, my 16 year old daughter found you first and said she thought I would enjoy reading here. She was soooo right. Love your blog and reading about all your decorating and Fun Friday Finds! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...