Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Wooden Cutting Board Makeover and Repurpose

This is such a little project I'm sharing today, but I love how it turned out and am feeling so excited to share it with you.


Over the summer I picked up a little cutting board at a yard sale for .10.  I wasn't exactly sure what I was going to do with it , but thought maybe I would do an image transfer on it.  Well, it has sat in the garage in my "to do" project pile ever since.  Then the other day I picked up a 2nd one at the ReStore for .25 and felt it was finally time to do something with it.  As I was walking through the paint aisle at Walmart I spotted the cans of chalkboard paint and an idea hit me.


A cutting board turned message board!


I added a coat of MinWax Early American stain to the back, sides, and edges of the front.  I thought the darker colored wood would be more complimentary to the black chalkboard paint than the original light wood.


Then I taped it off and put two coats of the chalkboard paint on it.  Either my tape wasn't pressed down firmly enough or I put too thick of a coat of paint on because when I lifted the tape afterwards some of it had seeped under.  Plus, even though I had checked and rechecked and practically crossed my eyes trying to make sure my rectangle was perfectly straight, I still ended up with one slightly lopsided edge. 



 Don't you hate it when the projects you think should be so fast and easy never fail to turn more complicated?  So, I tore off a small little piece of sandpaper and started sanding the drippy areas intending to go back and fill in the sanded areas with stain by using a tiny paintbrush.  But as I sanded it I realized I actually liked how it looked.  It gave the edges a more rustic, less precise look and gave the chalkboard area a matted look.  Plus, it made the lopsided edge not even noticeable.  Yay for not having to repaint!!


I tied the chalk on with a piece of twine.  I had to make the twine pretty long so the chalk could reach the bottom of the board, so I just wrapped the extra length around the handle of the cutting board.


The addition of the board inspired me to change up the whole coffee corner and now I love it so much! I brought in one of my little Ikea canisters to hold my coffee.  
(You can read about how I "galvanized" the lids {here}.)


And I added a little metal vintage Jello mold to hold the sweetener packets. 
 (I 'm trying to get away from using artificial sweeteners, but it still looks cute.)



The only problem is, it really makes me wish I had a beautiful farmhouse kitchen with white beadboard cupboards, lovely rustic hardwood floors, and barn style lights.  {Sigh}....someday!


For now I just have to enjoy dreaming about my "someday" kitchen while I brew a cuppa each day.


Let's see a side by side comparison of the before and after.


I'm.in.love.

So, for all of 10 cents I have a gorgeously rustic message board that makes my heart happy.  
(I did have to purchase the chalkboard paint, but I used so very little of it that I have enough left over for tons more projects so I'm not really counting that in the price.)

What do you think?  Do you like my rustic repurpose?  
Do you have a message board in your home that makes your heart happy? 
 I'd love to hear about it!

                                                               

Sharing over at:

42 comments:

  1. I guess I was more than a day late with my offer. Glad things are up and runnin' for you again! This sign is totally cute. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it!!!!!.....guess what I'll be doing?.... copying you again..... lol....hope that is ok.... my message board is card stock paper taped to my wall..... but it works.... hope to find a board now!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT. Oh and copying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I hope that you don't mind that I will have to copy this idea even though I don't drink coffee lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't drink coffee, but this is a great idea!!! I see cutting boards in lots of garage sales...now I know what to do with them!!
    Very CUTE!!
    Hope these crazy storms are leaving you alone!!
    Blessings,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable idea - I love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it..and the saying is just perfect. Great remake. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stephanie, that is the cutest idea and it really doesn't need a farmhouse kitchen to look good. I think I might have one of those breadboards hiding out in the garage. Hope I can find it..Happy Tuesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is to weird, I did the exact same project this week with the exact same cutting board. How funny, I just haven't posted mine yet. Thanks for sharing at the Cabin! Great minds think alike....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it...so cute!! We put a new farmhouse kitchen and my daughter gave me a chalkboard for in there and it makes my heart happy too.
    blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. This turned out really cute! I did something similar a few weeks ago. You can check it out here is you want:

    http://www.mendezmanor.com/2013/02/my-first-chalkboard-paint-project.html

    I am a new follower from the Wow Us Wednesday link party. Hope you come check out my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am SO doing this! I have a cutting board that must be the twin to yours & thought about adding an image as well, but I like this idea better (since I have chalkboard paint already) and mine will probably be lopsided too. ;) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so neat! Found my way here via Pinterest and loving the entire blog. You've got a real eye, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ^^^^^^Spam ^^^^^ up there.

    Ok...now, just came here from Creative Cain Cabin... I think I've visited your blog before. I love this little cutting board.
    Your's is genuinely a cutting board...but I saw some similar to this (though probably made in China) at Dollar General right after Christmas. Now I wish I'd bought them, because-- I'm thinking of 100 things to do with them now. Yours being SUPER CUTE!

    love it. Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up about the spam! I got it taken care of.

      Delete
  15. I love your re-purposed cutting board! Such a cute project!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been a follower, but never commented on your posts before...love this little chalkboard--turned out great. I love the way you tied the chalk to it! Smiles...Bev

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the chalkboard and I love your pictures! Nice job!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the cutting board chalk board idea. I found your blog looking for cutting board ideas. I am a woodworker and make alot of cutting boards.

    nice idea,
    Michael
    Cutting Board for Ina Garten

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really really like the chalk board idea! It is brilliant! I have so many old cutting boards (as you can imagine) and I never thought to repurpose them into this. Can't wait to try my first one tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. One important aspect that you really need to consider while buying a wood cutting board is the optimal way to clean and take care of it to use it for a longer period of time. A high quality, well retained and maintained hardwood cutting board, just like a good well-seasoned cast iron skillet is likely to last for many years. One can locate different companies online offering different wood cutting boards, but finding a reliable company like http://woodcuttingboard.com is really difficult and requires a lot of time and effort. I got my butcher wood cutting board from this website after the recommendation of my friend and i am happy with the results. You can count on this site too. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. have read many blogs in the net but have never come across such a well written blog. Good work keep it up
    cake container

    ReplyDelete
  23. The blog has an extremely narrow focus that extends, surprisingly into wide range of concerns.
    10-best-cutting-boards

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm filled with hope and positivity after reading this blog; it's a beautiful reminder that we can overcome any obstacle! A Auto clicker that actually works flawlessly - I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete

  25. This website and I conceive this internet site is really informative ! Keep on putting up!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello Dear, are you really visiting this web site regularly, if so after that you will definitely obtain pleasant experience

    ReplyDelete
  27. It is very well written, and your points are well-expressed.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This website was… how do you say it? Relevant!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Finally I have found something that helped me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

  30. this blog is one of my favorite thumbs up!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello there! This post could not be written any better.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great article. I’m dealing with a few of these issues as well..

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you so much for caring about your content and your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  34. That is the type of information that are meant to be shared around the net.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you. I have a lot of interesting ideas. I want you to look at the post I wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your content is nothing short of brilliant in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  37. The article you shared, it was very interesting and meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  38. The information you posted is very helpful. The site you refer to is good.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I found some useful topics in this well detail form. Thanks. Good job you did it!

    ReplyDelete

  40. I want to read more things about here! thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...