Friday, August 29, 2014

Fun Friday Finds #25

I wasn't even planning on going to any yard sales today.  I have family coming in tonight and I had lots to do to get ready for them coming and the kids and I were just going into town to get groceries.  Believe it or not, yard sales hadn't even crossed my mind.  BUT...on the way to the store we passed a yard sale sign and I whipped out a u-ey right quick.  Before the kids even realized what had happened we were pulling in the driveway and they were saying "Oh mom!" :D

It turned out to be more of an indoor estate sale.  I found a couple of things and dickered back and forth with the guy on the price and finally settled.  I dug out my $1's and scrounged for quarters and paid him.  As we were walking out I noticed the table and chairs.  I figured he would be asking at least $150 for the set, but out of curiosity I asked him how much.  "Wellll...my wife was really wantin' $65 for 'em, but she ain't here so I guess I could take $50."  "For the whole set?!?"  "Yap."  I poked and prodded and checked for wobbles, I looked for a brand (found an original paper tag under one chair) and decided this was a really good price.  And it just so happened that I had exactly $50 cash left.  I almost never have that much cash on me that isn't already designated for something else, but there was some left from a check I had cashed from one of Hubby's side jobs.  I figured he wouldn't mind.  :)






I did a little research on the brand after I got home and found that just the chairs can easily sell for $50 each!


Like I said before, one chair still has its original paper label on it. 


Add in the two chairs I got free from the side of the road a few weeks ago and it makes for a mighty decent set.  Now don't get me wrong, I still want my huge 10ft, rustic, chunky, handmade farmhouse table someday, but until we can make that happen this will suit us just fine.  And after eating off of a plastic folding table for over a year now it'll feel great to have a "real" table again.  

You might remember me mentioning that I got another dining room table for free a few weeks ago, and that I've been working on refinishing it.  I was planning to use that table to replace the folding table, but it doesn't have any leaves with it and can only seat 4 people comfortably.  When I saw that this one had 2 extra leaves with it I was sold.  I still plan to finish the other table, but now I'll just try to sell it on Craigslist and recoup the cost of what I spent on this set.


At the same sale I also got this piece of artwork.  Other than the gallery wall in the living room we have absolutely nothing on our walls and I've been on the lookout for some art.  I liked the simplicity of this, it felt "farmhouse" to me.  This is what the seller and I haggled about before I saw the table.  I was offering $2, he wanted $3...we settled on $2.50.  : )


I plan to hang it above the buffet in the dining room.  I think the red strawberries will pair very nicely with our red gingham curtains.

I got a few other smaller things as well that I plan to list on Ebay and in my Etsy shop, but I'm in a hurry today with company coming tonight so I decided just to share the two things I was most excited about.  

And remember, you're always welcome to share pictures of your Fun Friday Finds over on the Facebook group page.  We love seeing everyone's good deals!

                                                                      

6 comments:

  1. You dun good, Sista! Awesome deal on the table and chairs!!
    I hope to sit at that table one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great deal!! Looks perfect in your dining room.

    Have a wonderfully blessed weekend...
    ~Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.. what a haul! I think the strawberry pic looks great in your dining area and yes, perfect farmhouse decor.. Are you going to paint the table...I think this one is perfect until you get your dream table.. My hubby just made me a 10 ft farm table this past year.. I love it.. It took me forever to collect the 12 chairs I needed to go around it but I did...one chair at a time..yard sales, vendor malls, thrift shops.. Have a great week. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so great in the room along with the strawberries. I really like the frame on the strawberries too. They were meant to be y'all's

    ReplyDelete
  5. The print pops with the curtains, love the red and white check! Are you going to paint the table and chairs? I can't believe you got this for $50. dang.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yaaaayyy for you!! The print is lovely and looks like it belongs, and there is nothing better than a great big dining table!!
    Blessings to you,
    J

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...