Friday, March 21, 2014

Fun Friday Finds #20

Happy Spring everyone!  

Welcome back to another edition of Fun Friday Finds.
 I have some great things to show you this week.

Hubby ended up having to work this past Saturday so the kiddos and I headed out for some yard sales and a local quilt festival.  It was a fun day and I made a few good discoveries.


First up is this large glass cookie/candy jar I found at a yard sale for $2.


It's really big.  I set my phone up next to it so you could get an idea of its size.  I haven't decided yet if I want to keep this or sell it.  Either way I'll probably give the lid a coat of paint to freshen it up.


There were a few booths at the quilt festival that had vintage and antique items.  Some of the booths were charging antique store prices, but a couple of them were affordable.  I got this stack of vintage towels for $7.  So it came out to $1 each.


This set is a soft thin flour sack type material.  Isn't that red edging just the sweetest?!?  It feels sort of Swedish Farmhouse to me.  I might keep one and sell the rest.


This French linen towel looks like the real deal to me.  No faux wannabe's here.  Just look at that texture!  Gorgeous!


Also at the festival I found this German license plate for $6.  The man asked me if I had a German car I planned to put it on.  I said, "No, I'm planning to hang it on the wall."  I'm not sure if he knew what to think of that.  : )

The next fun find was totally unexpected.  If you'll remember back in my post about the DIY Grain Sack Shower Curtain, I used a homemade overhead projector to trace the image.  Even though it worked, it was still kind of difficult to do and the lighting had to be just right.  I had considered going ahead and investing in an actual projector to have for future projects, and maybe to make some things to sell, but decided against it when I saw they were running around $50 plus shipping on eBay.


Well, guess what?  I now have one of my own!  The kids and I were running errands one day and I stopped by the Hospice thrift store to drop off some things for donation and I spied this projector sitting right inside the door.  I asked if it had been a donation (yes), would it be for sale (yes), and could I buy it right then before it ever went out on the sales floor.  They had to get a manager to approve this, but long story short, they let me buy it right from the back door and for only $10!  It works SO much better than the homemade setup!  Now I just have to come up with some projects to use it for to justify its purchase.  :D

Now, on to the finds from today's adventure.  

I wanted to get a few groceries at Publix (LOVE Publix, but it's 35 minutes away so I don't get to go often), so the kids and I just made a morning of it.  It took us all morning to get there because we stopped at every yard sale we saw plus one thrift store and a small flea market, lol!


I got this selection of kitchen items at a yard sale for $2.  There were also some shower curtain hooks in the mix as well, but I didn't think you'd care about those.  : )  I thought the old ice cream scoop would make a cute scoop for something else, maybe in a big jar of oats or something.  The honey swirler thingy (technical savvy lingo) is to keep as well.  My husband was given a big jar of fresh honey from some local beekeepers after he helped them out, and I thought this would be so cute sitting down inside it.  (Well, until we eat it all that is.  It's some good stuff!)  And aren't those little measuring spoons just the cutest?  I already have a metal set for myself, so these will probably get listed.  The copper mold will be listed as well.


I found this great old antique brass hotel counter bell for $2.  It's solid brass and very heavy.


It even has a cast iron knocker/ringer thingy-ma-bob.  
(I'm very knowledgable in antiques lingo as you can see.)


This little silver plated dish caught my eye too.  It needs cleaned up, it looks as if it was used as an ash tray (oh the horrors!).  At first glance it might not look like much, but what drew me to it were the intricate details that lay beneath the grime and ash.


Isn't that pretty?  I forgot to take a picture, but it has an insignia on the bottom for Middletown Plate Co, Middletown, Conn. with the number 200.  Not sure what the number means, but I hope someone will appreciate this beautiful little piece as much as me because I plan to list it in the shop.


I came across this old Royal typewriter at a yard sale for $7.  I already have one of my own that I found last summer, so I plan to list this one.

Ok, now for my favorite find of the day.

This was the very first sale we stopped at this morning, at a local ranch a couple of miles from here.  I had already paid for my other items and was about to walk away when I noticed a section of boxes that I hadn't looked through before because they had just been setting them out.  When I moved away some paper towels and a few old musty sweaters I discovered this beauty.


A very large yellow enamelware bucket.  How often do you see yellow enamelware?!?  I'm not sure I ever have.


I love its sweet wooden handle!


I set the phone up by it again so you could see how big it is.  Awesome sauce, am I right?!?
And how much do you think I paid for it?
A big ol' whoppin' $2!!!  
I left there with a huge grin on my face!  I'm really in love with it so I think I'll be keeping it for now.

Well, that's all for this week!  

Be sure to share a picture of your Fun Friday Finds over in the Facebook Group.  We all love a good deal so come share what you've found!

                                                                  

Sharing over at:

5 comments:

  1. I love these FFF posts! Glad you're 'back at it'. :) Great finds! (I think I need your projector ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disinfect that bucket good....in it's preStephanie life, it was a diaper pail and would have had a lid. I will keep my eye out for a yellow lid as we wander the countryside!
    You did GOOD on all of your finds....and I bet your sidekicks had a great time too!
    Blessings,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that cookie jar exactly the way it is! The worn wooden top reminds me of a well-loved butcher block counter in some of the old farmhouses here in Tennessee, and it's exactly the kind of look I'm going for in my own home. Gimme, gimme! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree...don't paint the lid! I have the same jar. I love it because when I was little these jars would sit on store counters, filled with Lance "nabs" and other snacks for sale. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie - OH MY WORD, you find the cool stuff. Good grief. I positively love enamelware - I have a large collection of it. This yellow pot is incredible. I use a lot of my pots that size for vegetables, canning prep, etc... Did you use the projector on the shower curtain you made to see? How did it work? Those linens? Those are gorgeous. - Dori -

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...