Friday, April 20, 2012

My Dirty Little Secret

Dirty little secrets. 
 Everyone has one right?  Whether they want to admit to it or not, it's there...somewhere.  
In the past, I've been labeled as someone who "has it all together;" "house is always perfect;" "writes a blog;" "throws cute parties;" and people ask "How do you do it all?!?"  I am always surprised and perplexed when someone admits they think that of me, because the answer is, I don't!  I am so far from "together." 

And today I'm going to admit to one of my {many} weaknesses, but this one is my "dirty little secret."  The worst of the worst.  I question my own sanity in showing you this.

Warning: This post is not for the faint of heart.  If you fear you will succumb to a heart attack or collapse into a fit of epileptic seizures from the horrors contained within, then I suggest you exit out immediately and pretend you never stumbled across this post.

Ok.  Here goes.

My dirty little secret is........our master bedroom is almost always a horrid mess!!  The rest the house generally looks at least halfway presentable, but not this upstairs room.  It has been plain and boring,  undecorated, and usually messy for over a year now (ever since we moved into this house).



When we were getting ready to move from our old house to this one I decided it was time for a change in the master bedroom.  It wasn't that I hated the decor or anything, but we had it for 8 years by then and I was just ready for something new.  So I got rid of it all.  Everything.  Except the dresser.  Then we sort of inherited the antique bed.

But the problem was nothing ever inspired me.  At one point I thought I wanted this, but then I'd change my mind to that, and around and around I'd go, never committing to anything.  Well....you know how if a room doesn't look pretty and put together it's so much easier to let it get cluttered and unkempt?  At least that's how it is for me.

The dirty truth is that the above picture isn't all of it.  The rest of the room looks like this.



And this.



And this.



Feeling any twinges yet?  Need some Nitro?  Don't say I didn't warn you.

Ours is a split level home and the upstairs is mostly one big room that serves as our bedroom and my craft/scrapbook/kids art room.  There's also a bathroom, and attic access up there.  The bathroom is decorated very nicely and 90% of the time it's fairly clean.  But not so much for the rest of the upstairs.

There are piles of the kids' outgrown clothing waiting to be put away in the attic, their toys are generally strewn about e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e., my crafting/sewing table hasn't been cleaned off in..........I don't even know how long, my unused scrapbooking armoire is a horrible unorganized mess on the inside, and the list goes on and on.  I just have had no motivation to keep it looking nice.  It's so bad that I feel like a hypocrite every time I make my daughter clean her room.

So, that has been my embarrassing secret that I've done my best to keep hidden for the past year.  
Not anymore apparently.

 Alas, I am not so perfect.  So very far from it.

BUT.....I admit all of that to tell you this...hope is on the horizon!  I finally finally finally found a bedroom set that I fell in love with and feel excited about, and I cannot wait to begin pulling it all together.  And having a reason to keep it looking nice.  I'm so very tired of all that mess.

source
I found it at Kohls, bought it during a 50% off sale, used an additional 20% off, plus got $40 Kohls cash back from it.  But even so, for me it was a HUGE splurge, I never spend that kind of money.  But I didn't cut into our budget money for it, I had birthday/Christmas/etc money hoarded away and I used that.  So I didn't feel quite so guilty about it.  : )

It could very easily go in the direction of French Country (not my style) so I plan to give it a more rustic farmhouse spin.  'Cause that's how I roll.

Anyhoosie, exciting changes are coming our way!  I'll keep you updated as I go.  

That is, if you're still breathing.


                                         


11 comments:

  1. Lovely! I think you will make it a very special place. Have fun and enjoy the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I feel better now! :) Honestly, I still think you 'have it all together' but I'm glad to see these pictures. They make me feel better about my messy room; for me, it's the laundry room. Always. a. disaster.

    I really like the bedding you picked and I know you will turn out a really nice room. Can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not alone! HA I did the same thing in our PA house master bdrm. We were literally remodeling almost every part of the house at once. (major fixer-upper we bought for a great price!) I never did get the room looking like I wanted and then we sold it. So, our current house, the Master bdrm got some prompt attention, still working on and tweaking things here and there, but it is such a happy place!
    Can't wait to see what you do with yours - it will be awesome, I know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still breathing, and I think this is awesome! Reality blogging, right? But it takes inspiration to be inspired, and I'm so happy you have found that in your bedding. It's gorgeous... I'm enjoying visiting your blog, and can't wait to see what you do! Have a great weekend... you're on a roll now ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that made me feel sooooo much better! Thank you so much for sharing!!! :) I am not alone! I do have window treatments- just sheer panels, but my 3yo took the pinking shears to the ones by my bed!

    The bedding is gorgeous! I can't wait to see what you come up with!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! That ain't nuthin'! Although, we finally put up curtains in the master bedroom this spring after not having any for 3 years. I can see too much floor in your crafting space. Mine is literally a narrow path.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL!!! I was cracking up while reading! Your writing style is great!
    As for the pictures.. the first 2 weren't SO bad... then the next ones roll out... LOL!! WOWZERS! You got it all hangin' out now, don't cha? :-)

    Anyway, you made me laugh, gave me a great start to my morning and I LOVE your new bedding set!! (Mine is sitting in it's packaging in the corner with dust and cat hair piling up on it.... I have an envelope of money squirreled away to spend on the room, but haven't found the time or inclination.... SOMEDAY!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for keeping it real, but honestly, my bedroom is hardly ever camera ready. lol I'm sure you will have everything looking fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy to see "not perfect" because most of us aren't and I don't even try to be, LOL! The new bedding is beautiful and I think it will be very versatile, too. Red can definitely be treated like a neutral or an accent color - great choice! I hope you don't leave your goodies in Kohls bags inside a closet for 2 years like I did mine, before I finally got around to finishing up my bedroom in February (it was painted in November 2009 and not a thing had been done to it since except to put up some toile curtains that I decided I didn't much care for after all -- and they were cream and black, not white and black, and absolutely did not go with the new toile comforter I'd purchased that was very white and black). Anyway, good luck, and suggest if there is a way you can divide out and separate your adult bedroom space from the craft area/kids' art area space, you do so. Curtains maybe? Some shelving units floor to ceiling and a glass "French" door that you can use to shut off the space? You may find it easier to keep those old trophies out of your adult space and the adult space will be maintained as your and hubby's haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind response Jan. You'll be happy to know that the bedding is already in place and lots of progress has been made already. I'll be sharing it soon. And yes, I found something to divide the room. I've wanted that ever since we moved here but could never find what I wanted at the right price. But it's all coming together now, thankfully.

      Delete
  10. I know EXACTLY what you mean...my friends and family think I'm perfect! Wha....t ? That's crazy talk! My master is not EVER going to grace any magazine covers. It's a place where my Lovey and I sleep in pretty much. A room at Motel 6 is WAY more classy. There's the ground in foot grime "sponge paint" on the drab beige walls where my sons used them as an automan, the carpet has...I think it's gorilla tape stuck to it...why? Then there's the hated "black box" hanging ominously in the corner, that only collects an enormous amount of dust since we no longer have a DVR receiver hooked up to it...ugh! As soon as I make my bed,I'm outta there until bedtime! And let's not mention the growing piles of craft stuff in our drab beige closet, and piles of disheveled books stuffed into my night stand, and computer table. Anyway, great choice on the linens, there really pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...